For the next week-and-a-half, students will read The Little Prince, and we will all have the opportunity to think deeply about how religion, literature, and history are all connected to each other.
--------------
During class today, Mrs. Chapman (Amrit's mother and Gresham's aunt) gave a wonderful presentation about Sikhism.
She talked about her own family's experiences and helped us all to better understand Sikh beliefs and rituals.
Thank you, Mrs. Chapman, for sharing your perspectives with us today. And, thank you for the scrumptious prashad!
While reading The Little Prince, students will begin each class by writing a response to a question based on a theme from the book. Today's question:
The pilot points out:
"When you tell them about a new friend, [grown-ups] never ask questions about what really matters.
They never ask: 'What does his voice sounds like?' 'What games does he like best?' 'Does he collect butterflies?'
They ask: 'How old is he?' 'How many brothers does he have?' 'How much does he weigh?' 'How much money does his father make?”
If you were describing a friend to your parents, what kinds of things would you say?
The students came up with a number of thoughtful responses. Here are excerpts from several excellent paragraphs:
Bertie: I would talk about if they stand out in a crowd. Individuality is of the utmost importance to me. Not to say I have anything against plain people I just prefer a colorful character.
Ellie: They can be quiet at times but when they are, you can tell they are thinking about something interesting. They seem to love punk rock music, clothes, and lifestyle, they seem to be a little goth within their mix of punk, and they never wear makeup. I definitely like this person’s sense of humor, style, and just their personality in general.
Oliver: If I were describing my friend to an adult, I would say things about his personality. For example, he has a warm heart, and an open mind.
Gia: I would say that he is very optimistic. If he comes across an event that is challenging or tough he problem-solves, and when he solves it he always has a smile on his face.



No comments:
Post a Comment