Friday, February 13, 2015

Reading Closely


This week we have been reading the wonderful tales from Good Masters; Sweet Ladies.

Yesterday, we read the stories of Isobel the Lord's Daughter and Barbary the Mudslinger.

Isobel's and Barbary's differing accounts of the "muck toss" reminded us of the importance of considering things from more than one perspective.

Isobel: I cannot take the stain from my gown or the thought from my mind: They hate me.


Why?  What have I done?  With my own soft hands I have given out bread on Lammas Day, from my own purse I give to the poor.


Barbary: Bull's-eye. But I didn't enjoy it - not for more'n a moment. Not after I saw her face. She hadn't done anything to me ... 


I prayed that God would forgive me - that the muck would come out of her dress, and that my stepmother wouldn't die.


By connecting these two stories to the earlier story of Hugo, Hannah provided a fantastic insight into why we should feel sympathy for Isobel.

Hannah pointed out that Isobel's father -- the lord of the manor -- is revealed by Hugo to be a harsh, mean person, who threatened to beat his nephew if he did not kill the boar.

Hannah said that Isobel had a more difficult life than you'd expect, since she had to deal with such a cruel father.

This was a terrific job of close-reading by Hannah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by Martin Luther and Pope Leo X

The winners, as selected by you... My #MonkLife turned into a #PunkLife. Indulgences are a scam. #Gotta_say_that_for_the_fam (By Becca , Zac...