Monday, March 16, 2015

Eleanor is Uncooperative (and Judicious!)

Today we talked about King Henry's famous friend and advisor, Thomas Becket.

After serving as the chancellor (the person in charge of the King's money), Becket became the Archbishop of Canterbury and had a series of disagreements with Henry about political and religious obligations.

I explained that the precise circumstances of Becket's murder remain a mystery.

Lucas P. and Abbey came up with an excellent new theory: Queen Eleanor, envious of Thomas Becket's close relationship with her husband Henry, ordered Becket's assassination.  Fascinating stuff! I told Lucas and Abbey that I am already looking forward to their first-hand research into the link between Eleanor and Becket.

The students also came up with some additional strong adjectives to describe Eleanor. Highlights included:

Morose (Emma)

Uncooperative (Cole)

Intricate (Celia)

Judicious (Nikki)

Anxious (Lillian)

Thoughtful (Nick)

Power-Hungry (Jay)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by Martin Luther and Pope Leo X

The winners, as selected by you... My #MonkLife turned into a #PunkLife. Indulgences are a scam. #Gotta_say_that_for_the_fam (By Becca , Zac...