Monday, April 13, 2015

More Impressions from Washington DC



Marin
St. George and the Dragon.

St. George's cape really caught my eye. The princess looks so caring and loving to St. George. My favorite thing about the painting is the sky and the water. I like the sky because of all the different colors joining together to make something so pretty.
Natalie

I was surprised by the portrait of Ginevra de Benci because there was a painting on the back as well as the portrait on the front. I didn't know paintings could have stuff on the back too. Also, while the colors in the other paintings stood out more in real life, I feel like Ginevra's colors were more or less the same.


Gia

The Ciborium.

Its delicate carving and the white and gold really caught my eye. I loved how it was simple but extravagant at the same time. 

If you looked really closely at the part where they put the bread and wine, you could see a little doorknob. It demonstrated how precise the carvers and sculptors had to be when dealing with such an amazing piece of artwork.


Peter

I loved the big black pillars at the National Gallery. They gave an amazing contrast to the lighter stone of the building. 

My favorite art was the marble busts. The faces were so detailed, and even the hair was three dimensional. The marble statues seemed to be happier or even just calmer than the bronze statues, who had very strict faces, beards and clothes.


Riley

One thing I liked about the National Cathedral was all of the little tunnels that ran below the ground surface. I liked how the tunnels led different places but there was always a way out.

I also liked how if you were in the church choir or playing the organ, there were mirrors so that both the choir and organ player could see each other and tell each other when to start singing or playing.


Lucas P.

I liked all the mini chapels, like the Children's Chapel and the Soldiers' Chapel. You had the large, main chapel, and I thought it was nice that they included so many individual ones too. 

One small thing I liked was the pun with the cannons as a decorative piece, because the priests are canons too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by Martin Luther and Pope Leo X

The winners, as selected by you... My #MonkLife turned into a #PunkLife. Indulgences are a scam. #Gotta_say_that_for_the_fam (By Becca , Zac...